Sea and Society
We pioneer innovative research approaches that support the effective and sustainable management of marine and coastal systems and activities. This is designed to increase the benefits provided to society by the sea while conserving and enhancing the environment.
We investigate and demonstrate the consequences of the interactions between humans and natural systems. This includes the full breadth of marine and coastal ecosystem services - including food provision, carbon sequestration, flood and coastal erosion risk management, marine renewable energy, recreation, tourism, psychological restoration and connection to nature. In turn, we inform and develop effective measures to improve the outcomes, impacts and benefits of these interactions.
The group itself is uniquely comprised of those with expertise in economics, psychology, and social and ecological science, allowing for transformative societally-orientated marine research which is undertaken at local, regional, national and international levels.
Our main goals are to:
- Evidence the interactions of human and marine systems, determining the key interactions and how we can quantify the associated linkages
- Understand the ecological, economic, psychological and social implications of anthropogenic pressures and environmental change
- Co-develop research with a range of stakeholders into how community and ecosystem resilience can be improved, determining the options for mitigation, adaptation, and transformation in response to global change, and how these can be influenced through acceptability, empowerment and behavioural change.
- Pioneer economic and social opportunities, mechanisms and tools for sustainable environmental policy and management, defining how, where and when novel mechanisms such as Payment for Ecosystem Service schemes, green-blue financing, and nature-based solutions can be implemented
- Analyse options and provide evidence for management and policy makers at local to global levels, supporting improved decision-making on the use and management of natural resources and marine space.
PML Project pages
Addressing Challenges of Coastal Communities through Ocean Research for Developing Economies (ACCORD)
ADdressing Valuation of Energy and Nature Together (ADVENT)
CoastWEB - Valuing the contribution which COASTal habitats make to human health and WEllBeing, with a focus on the alleviation of natural hazards
Coral Communities: Building Socio-Ecological Resilience to Coral Reef Degradation in the Islands of the Western Indian Ocean.
GCRF Blue Communities
Marine plastic pollution in the Arctic
MOET - Managing the Environmental Sustainability of the Offshore Energy Transition
MSPACE: Marine Spatial Planning Addressing Climate Effects
PELAgIO - Physics-to-Ecosystem Level Assessment of Impacts of Offshore Windfarms
Sea The Value
South West Partnership for Environment & Economic Prosperity (SWEEP)
Study on the Economic Benefits of Marine Protected Areas
UKERC - Energy, Environment, and Landscapes theme
Using nexus thinking to empower community-based management of mangrove fisheries
- Richter, I; Gabe-Thomas, E; Queiros, AM; Sheppard, SRJ; Pahl, S; 2022. Advancing the potential impact of future scenarios by integrating psychological principles . Environmental Science & Policy.
- Lemasson, AJ; Somerfield, PJ; Schratzberger, M; McNeill, CL; Nunes, J; Pascoe, CK; Watson, SCL; Thompson, MSA; Couce, E; Knights, AM; 2022. Evidence for the effects of decommissioning man-made structures on marine ecosystems globally: a systematic map . Environmental Evidence.
- Broszeit, S; Hattam, C; Langmead, O; Praptiwi, RA; Creencia, LA; Then, AY; Lim, VC; Hau, TD; Edwards-Jones, A; Austen, MC; 2022. Ecosystem service provision by marine habitats in Southeast Asia . .
- Rendon, O; Edwards-Jones, A; Kieu, TK; Marcone, O; Broszeit, S; Beaumont, NJ; 2022. Characterisation of the inshore marine sectors of Da Nang, Vietnam . .
- Omeyer, LCM; Duncan, EM; Aiemsomboon, K; Beaumont, NJ; Bureekul, S; Cao, B; Carrasco, LR; Chavanich, S; Clark, JR; Cordova, MR; Couceiro, F; Cragg, SM; Dickson, N; Failler, P; Ferraro, G; Fletcher, S; Fong, J; Ford, AT; Gutierrez, T; Shahul Hamid, F; Hiddink, JG; Hoa, PT; Holland, SI; Jones, L; Jones, NH; Koldewey, HJ; Lauro, FM; Lee, C; Lewis, M; Marks, D; Matallana-Surget, S; Mayorga-Adame, CG; McGeehan, J; Messer, LF; Michie, L; Miller, MA; Mohamad, ZF; Nor, NHM; Müller, M; Neill, SP; Nelms, SE; Onda, DFL; Ong, JJL; Pariatamby, A; Phang, SC; Quilliam, R; Robins, PE; Salta, M; Sartimbul, A; Shakuto, S; Skov, MW; Taboada, EB.; Todd, PA; Toh, TC; Valiyaveettil, S; Viyakarn, V; Wonnapinij, P; Wood, LE; Yong, CLX; Godley, BJ; 2022. Priorities to inform research on marine plastic pollution in Southeast Asia . Science of The Total Environment.
- Watson, SCL; Watson, GJ; Beaumont, NJ; Preston, J; 2022. Inclusion of condition in natural capital assessments is critical to the implementation of marine nature-based solutions . Science of The Total Environment.
- Richter, I; Sumeldan, J; Avillanosa, A; Gabe-Thomas, E; Creencia, LA; Pahl, S; 2021. Co-created Future Scenarios as a Tool to Communicate Sustainable Development in Coastal Communities in Palawan, Philippines . Frontiers in Psychology.
- Queiros, AM; Talbot, E; Beaumont, NJ; Somerfield, PJ; Kay, S; Pascoe, CK; Dedman, S; Fernandes, JA; Jueterbock, A; Miller, PI; Sailley, SF; Sara, G; Carr, LM; Austen, MC; Widdicombe, S; Rilov, G; Levin, LA; Hull, SC; Walmsley, SF; Nic Aonghusa, C; 2021. Bright spots as climate‐smart marine spatial planning tools for conservation and blue growth . Global Change Biology.
- Hattam, C; Broszeit, S; Langmead, O; Praptiwi, RA; Ching Lim, V; Creencia, LA; Duc Hau, T; Maharja, C; Wulandari, P; Mitra Setia, T; Sugardjito, J; Javier, J; Jose, E; Janine Gajardo, L; Yee-Hui Then, A; Yang Amri, Affendi; Johari, S; Vivian Justine, E; Ali Syed Hussein, M; Ching Goh, H; Phuc Hung, N; Van Quyen, N; Ngoc Thao, L; Hoang Tri, N; Edwards-Jones, A; Clewley, D; Austen, MC; 2021. A matrix approach to tropical marine ecosystem service assessments in South east Asia . Ecosystem Services.
- Lemasson, AJ; Knights, AM; Thompson, MSA; Lessin, G; Beaumont, NJ; Pascoe, CK; Queiros, AM; McNeill, LC; Schratzberger, M; Somerfield, PJ; 2021. Evidence for the effects of decommissioning man-made structures on marine ecosystems globally: a systematic map protocol . Environmental Evidence.