"I like working with scientists to solve problems and bring a more operational element to their research, enabling more stakeholders to benefit from it.
There are people with a range of skills at PML, working to understand and solve some of the environmental challenges we are facing, I enjoy being part of this. "
Dan studied at Aberystwyth University, starting with an undergraduate degree was in Physics, followed by a MSc in Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing then a PhD investigating the retrieval forest structure from Synthetic Aperture Radar data in the Department of Geography. After graduating from his PhD, Dan spent two years as a postdoctoral research fellow in the Microwave Systems Sensors and Imaging Lab (MiXIL) at the University of Southern California.
Dan joined PML in 2014 to work as part of the NERC Airborne Research and Survey Facility Data Analysis Node and in 2019 became manager of the NERC Earth Observation Data Acquisition and Analysis Service (NEODAAS).
Dan’s role at PML is to lead operation of Earth Observation services at PML, specifically focusing on software design and computing infrastructure. Dan is part of a team who ensure data from multiple satellites is downloaded and processed every day and made available to scientists for use in their research.
- Living Wales (2021 - 2023)
- Digital Earth Australia Land Cover Mapping (2018 – 2020)
- Hattam, C; Broszeit, S; Langmead, O; Praptiwi, RA; Ching Lim, V; Creencia, LA; Duc Hau, T; Maharja, C; Wulandari, P; Mitra Setia, T; Sugardjito, J; Javier, J; Jose, E; Janine Gajardo, L; Yee-Hui Then, A; Yang Amri, Affendi; Johari, S; Vivian Justine, E; Ali Syed Hussein, M; Ching Goh, H; Phuc Hung, N; Van Quyen, N; Ngoc Thao, L; Hoang Tri, N; Edwards-Jones, A; Clewley, D; Austen, MC; 2021. A matrix approach to tropical marine ecosystem service assessments in South east Asia. Ecosystem Services.
- Owers, CJ; Lucas, RM; Clewley, D; Planque, C; Punalekar, S; Tissott, B; Chua, SMT; Bunting, P; Mueller, N; Metternicht, G; 2021. Living Earth: Implementing national standardised land cover classification systems for Earth Observation in support of sustainable development. Big Earth Data.
- Whitcomb, J; Clewley, D; Colliander, A; Cosh, MH; Powers, J; Friesen, M; McNairn, H; Berg, AA; Bosch, DD; Coffin, A; Collins, CH; Prueger, JH; Entekhabi, D; Moghaddam, M; 2020. Evaluation of SMAP Core Validation Site Representativeness Errors Using Dense Networks of In Situ Sensors and Random Forests. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing.
- Biermann, L; Clewley, D; Martinez-Vicente, V; Topouzelis, KN; 2020. Finding Plastic Patches in Coastal Waters using Optical Satellite Data. Scientific Reports.
- Lucas, R; Mueller, N; Siggins, A; Owers, C; Clewley, D; Bunting, P; Kooymans, C; Tissott, B; Lewis, B; Lymburner, L; Metternicht, G; 2019. Land Cover Mapping using Digital Earth Australia. Data.