Dr Dan Clewley
Earth Observation Research Software Engineerdac @pml.ac.uk | +44 (0)1752 633100
"I like working with scientists to solve problems and bring a more operational element to their research, enabling more stakeholders to benefit from it.
There are people with a range of skills at PML, working to understand and solve some of the environmental challenges we are facing, I enjoy being part of this. "
Dan studied at Aberystwyth University, starting with an undergraduate degree was in Physics, followed by a MSc in Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing then a PhD investigating the retrieval forest structure from Synthetic Aperture Radar data in the Department of Geography. After graduating from his PhD, Dan spent two years as a postdoctoral research fellow in the Microwave Systems Sensors and Imaging Lab (MiXIL) at the University of Southern California.
Dan joined PML in 2014 to work as part of the NERC Airborne Research and Survey Facility Data Analysis Node and in 2019 became manager of the NERC Earth Observation Data Acquisition and Analysis Service (NEODAAS).
Dan’s role at PML is to lead operation of Earth Observation services at PML, specifically focusing on software design and computing infrastructure. Dan is part of a team who ensure data from multiple satellites is downloaded and processed every day and made available to scientists for use in their research.
- Living Wales (2021 - 2023)
- Digital Earth Australia Land Cover Mapping (2018 – 2020)
- Owers, CJ; Lucas, RM; Clewley, D; Tissott, B; Chua, SMT; Hunt, G; Mueller, N; Planque, C; Punalekar, SM; Bunting, P; Tans, P; Metternicht, G; 2022. Operational continental-scale land cover mapping of Australia using the Open Data Cube. International Journal of Digital Earth.
- Watson-Parris, D; Christensen, MW; Laurenson, A; Clewley, D; Gryspeerdt, E; Stier, P; 2022. Shipping regulations lead to large reduction in cloud perturbations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Lucas, RM; German, S; Metternicht, G; Schmidt, RK; Owers, CJ; Prober, SM; Richards, AE; Tetreault‐Campbell, S; Williams, KJ; Mueller, N; Tissott, B; Chua, SMT; Cowood, A; Hills, T; Gunawardana, D; McIntyre, AD; Chognard, S; Hurford, C; Planque, C; Punalekar, S; Clewley, D; Sonnenschein, R; Murray, NJ; Manakos, I; Blonda, P; Owers, K; Roxburgh, S; Kay, H; Bunting, P; Horton, C; 2022. A globally relevant change taxonomy and evidence‐based change framework for land monitoring. Global Change Biology.
- Armitage, S; Awty-Carroll, K; Clewley, D; Martinez-Vicente, V; 2022. Detection and Classification of Floating Plastic Litter Using a Vessel-Mounted Video Camera and Deep Learning. Remote Sensing.
- Hattam, C; Broszeit, S; Langmead, O; Praptiwi, RA; Ching Lim, V; Creencia, LA; Duc Hau, T; Maharja, C; Wulandari, P; Mitra Setia, T; Sugardjito, J; Javier, J; Jose, E; Janine Gajardo, L; Yee-Hui Then, A; Yang Amri, Affendi; Johari, S; Vivian Justine, E; Ali Syed Hussein, M; Ching Goh, H; Phuc Hung, N; Van Quyen, N; Ngoc Thao, L; Hoang Tri, N; Edwards-Jones, A; Clewley, D; Austen, MC; 2021. A matrix approach to tropical marine ecosystem service assessments in South east Asia. Ecosystem Services.