Our two vessels, the Plymouth Quest
and PML Explorer
, support PML’s research and long-term monitoring activities, including the Western Channel Observatory
The Plymouth Quest is able to operate in coastal and offshore regions and is able to spend up to 5 days at sea. It is equipped with facilities for collecting a wide range of biological, chemical and physical measurements and boasts a suite of underway sensors for autonomous measurements.
- Length: 21.5m, draught: 3.02m
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency Category 2 workboat, able to operate up to 60 miles from a safe haven
- Capacity of 12 passengers plus crew during the day or 6 overnight berths
- Equipped with trawl and sweeping winches, an A frame, net drum, 10 tonne hydraulic crane and hydraulic stern gate
The PML Explorer, provides a perfect working platform, as well as a 'rapid response' capability to enhance our research in estuarine and coastal waters.
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency code 3R vessel: Rigid Inflatable Boat, length: 6.8m
- Seagoing capability of up to 20 miles offshore
- Carrying capacity of up to 6 personnel
- Twin 90hp Suzuki engines, with twin fuel tanks for up to 8 hours at sea
- Navigation system with echosounder
- 12v power supply for scientific equipment
- Capability to deploy CTDs and a variety of messenger triggered water bottles