Improving the performance of National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) code using GPUs
Published: 2023 | DOI: 10.17031/wtr8-2k34
Nicola Martin, Daniel Clewley, Steve GroomDownload publication | Cite this publication
- The aim of this study was to investigate the advantages of different tools designed for running code on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) and specify the types of code best suited for GPU acceleration.
- Three examples of code were obtained from NCEO scientists for three distinct applications and ported to GPUs on the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Earth Observation Data Acquisition and Analysis Service (NEODAAS) MAGEO computing cluster.
- Comparisons were made between the time taken to run the code on the original Central Processing Unit (CPU) and the MAGEO CPU and GPU.
- Accelerations of between x30 and x1800 were achieved: more details are provided below.
- In terms of energy saving this relates to an estimated 93.9% to 99.8% reduction in electricity usage.
- The study highlighted the value of expertise in GPUs and coding such as provided by NEODAAS
Download this publication
Please enter your details below to access the publication.
The information you provide will be used to gain a greater understanding of our audience.
Cite this publicationMartin, N., Clewley, D., Groom, S. (2023). Improving the performance of National Centre for Earth Observation (NCEO) code using GPUs. PML Publishing. DOI: 10.17031/wtr8-2k34
Other publications from PML publishing
Edwards-Jones, A. Goh, HC. Lee, SL. Ruslan NFN. Lin, TL. Austen, MC. Then, AY
Assessment of the environmental, ecosystem, and human activities in coastal Vietnam and Cambodia gathered from satellite remote sensing
Helen S. Findlay, Andrey Kurekin, Nick Selmes
Ana M Queirós, Liz Talbot, Chris Pascoe, Anthony Staff and Steve Widdicombe
Stefanie Broszeit, Caroline Hattam, Olivia Langmead, Radisti A. Praptiwi, Lota Creencia, Amy Yee Hui Then, Voon-Ching Lim, Tran Duc Hau, Andrew Edwards-Jones, Melanie C. Austen
Olivia R. Rendón1, Andrew Edwards-Jones1, Thi Kinh Kieu2 , Oceane Marcone1, Stefanie Broszeit1, Nicola Beaumont1
1Sea and Society Group, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, United Kingdom
2Da Nang University, Vietnam
Climate-smart spatial planning assessment in support of conservation and blue growth in Da Nang city's marine environment
Queiros, AM; Talbot, E; Kay, S; Sailley, SF; Vu Hoang Le, T; Thi Pham, C; Widdicombe, S