Modelling for me offers a unique ability to study all the complex interactions that shape marine ecosystems and to understand how they react to all disturbances created by climate change, acidification and human activities. As such, it gives me the opportunity to inform and support the creation of new policies and management strategies aimed at a sustainable development of society."
After a degree in Environmental engineering at the University of Padua (Italy), Yuri moved the focus of his research on modelling eutrophication in coastal area during his PhD, always at University of Padua. Since he moved to PML in 2008, Yuri has been developing and applying various models to study the impact of global stressors (like climate change, ocean acidification) as well as direct anthropogenic activities (like nutrient pollution, fishery and aquaculture) on marine ecosystems and the interaction among these drivers. He also studies how marine ecosystem could play a role in supporting society to address global challenges like climate changes, food provision and health. His interest spans from more purely scientific questions (like the importance of natural variability on determining the resilience of the marine systems) to translating that research in application to support policy makers, regulators, industry and the wider society in their effort to achieve global environmental goals like the Paris agreement on climate, the SDGs and the Colombo declaration.
Yuri is currently PI and co-I in several UK and EU funded projects.
Since September 2020 he is coordinator of PML Science to Impact Challenge area “Understanding and mitigating climate change”.
- Artioli, Y., J.C. Blackford, G. Nondal, R.G.J. Bellerby, S.L. Wakelin, J.T. Holt, M. Butenschön, and J.I. Allen. Heterogeneity of impacts of high CO2 on the North Western European Shelf. Biogeosciences 11:601-612. doi:10.5194/bg-11-601-2014
- Calosi, P., Melatunan, S., Turner, L.M., ...Widdicombe, S., Rundle, S.D., Regional adaptation defines sensitivity to future ocean acidification, Nature Communications, 2017, 8, 13994. doi:10.1038/ncomms13994
- Chust, G., J.I. Allen, L. Bopp, C. Schrum, J. Holt, K. Tsiaras, M. Zavatarelli, M. Chifflet, H. Cannaby, I. Dadou, U. Daewel, S.L. Wakelin, E. Machu, D. Pushpadas, M. Butenschon, Y. Artioli, G. Petihakis, C. Smith, V. Garçon, K. Goubanova, B. Le Vu, B.A. Fach, B. Salihoglu, E. Clementi, and X. Irigoien. Biomass changes and trophic amplification of plankton in a warmer ocean. Global Change Biology 20:2124-2139. doi:10.1111/gcb.12562
- Ostle C., P. Williamson, Y. Artioli, D.C.E. Bakker, S. Birchenough, C.E. Davis, S. Dye, M. Edwards, H.S. Findlay, N. Greenwood, S. Hartman, M.P. Humphreys, T. Jickells, M. Johnson, P. Landschützer, R. Parker, D. Pearce, J. Pinnegar, C. Robinson, U. Schuster, B. Silburn, R. Thomas, S. Wakelin, P. Walsham, and A.J. Watson (2016) Carbon dioxide and ocean acidification observations in UK waters: Synthesis report with a focus on 2010 - 2015. doi: 10.13140/RG.2.1.4819.4164
- Glibert, P.M., Allen, J.I., Artioli, Y. , Beusen, A. , Bouwman, L. , Harle, J. , Holmes, R. and Holt, J. (2014), Vulnerability of coastal ecosystems to changes in harmful algal bloom distribution in response to climate change: projections based on model analysis. Glob Change Biol, 20: 3845-3858. doi:10.1111/gcb.12662
- Holt, J., C. Schrum, H. Cannaby, U. Daewel, I. Allen, Y. Artioli, L. Bopp, M. Butenschon, B.A. Fach, J. Harle, D. Pushpadas, B. Salihoglu, S. Wakelin. Potential impacts of climate change on the primary production of regional seas: A comparative analysis of five European seas, Progress in Oceanography, 140, 2016, 91-115, doi:10.1016/j.pocean.2015.11.004
- Jardine, JE; Palmer, M; Mahaffey, C; Holt, J; Wakelin, S; Artioli, Y; 2022. Climatic Controls on the Spring Phytoplankton Growing Season in a Temperate Shelf Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans.
- Ross Brown, A; Lilley, MKS; Shutler, J; Widdicombe, CE; Rooks, PA; McEvoy, AJ; Torres, R; Artioli, Y; Rawle, G; Homyard, J; Tyler, CR; Lowe, C; 2022. Harmful Algal Blooms and their impacts on shellfish mariculture follow regionally distinct patterns of water circulation in the western English Channel during the 2018 heatwave. Harmful Algae.
- Rees, AP; Bange, HW; Arévalo-Martínez, DL; Artioli, Y; Ashby, DM; Brown, IJ; Campen, HI; Clark, DR; Kitidis, V; Lessin, G; Tarran, GA; Turley, CM; 2021. Nitrous oxide and methane in a changing Arctic Ocean. Ambio.
- Webber, JL; Tyler, CR; Carless, D; Jackson, B; Tingley, D; Stewart-Sinclair, P; Artioli, Y; Torres, R; Galli, G; Miller, PI; Land, PE; Zonneveld, S; Austen, MC; Brown, AR; 2021. Impacts of land use on water quality and the viability of bivalve shellfish mariculture in the UK: A case study and review for SW England. Environmental Science & Policy.
- Campen, HI; Arévalo-Martínez, DL; Artioli, Y; Brown, IJ; Kitidis, V; Lessin, G; Rees, AP; Bange, HW; 2021. The role of a changing Arctic Ocean and climate for the biogeochemical cycling of dimethyl sulphide and carbon monoxide. Ambio.