Research Integrity at PML: Annual Statement 2022
PML’s Core Values were reviewed in November 2022
Policies and guidelines relating to research integrity used at PML
The following external policies were published or revised in 2022 and have been considered in relation to internal policies and processes at PML:
- UKRI Policy on the Governance of Good Research Practice: UKRI-310322-GRP-Policy2022.pdf
- UKRI Guidance for Research Organisations on the Investigation of Research Misconduct: UKRI-310322-GRP-Guidance2022.pdf
The following internal PML policies, that relate to research integrity, have been revised or developed this year:
- PML Conflict of Interest Policy - June 2022
- PML Policy for Handling Allegations of Research Misconduct (Issue 5 Draft - December 2022)
- PML Policy on the Governance of Good Research Practice (Issue 1 Draft - December 2022)
Training and Internal Communication
PML staff and management have engaged in the following ‘Research Integrity’ relevant training and communication activities:
- PML has joined the UK Research Integrity Office (UKRIO) in 2022 so as to take advantage of the Research Integrity training that they have to offer.
- Corporate ‘New Starter’ inductions have been conducted for 20 staff in 2022. These new staff and students all received information specific to research integrity as part of this induction process.
- Mandatory On-line Equity, Diversity and Inclusion training has commenced for all staff at the end of 2022.
Formal ‘Research Ethics’ Applications
The following request for formal ethical approval of research activities were submitted and approved in 2022:
- Impacts of Artificial Light At Night (ALAN) on the Marine-Coastal Environment of Chile - Application submitted in 2021 but approved in January 2022
- UKERC Offshore Wind and Environmental Net Gain Survey - Approved in August 2022
- PML Smell of the Sea - Application submitted in October 2022, awaiting decision.
The following GDPR documents were updated in 2022:
- PML General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Subject Access Guidance - January 2022
- PML General Data Protection Regulation Policy - Updated January 2022
- PML General Data Protection Regulation Privacy Notice for Employees - January 2022
- PML General Data Protection Regulation Privacy Notice for Recruitment - January 2022
No breaches of GDPR regulations were identified in 2022.
The GDPR internal audit programme has continued in 2022.
To ensure research quality in 2022:
We have maintained our ISO9001:2015 (Quality) and ISO45001:2018 (Health & Safety) Certifications.
- We have achieved Environmental Management System Certification to the ISO14001:2015 standard in November.
- The PML Peer Review College undertook an internal peer review of all potential NERC discovery grant proposals prior to submission.
- PML completed the following proficiency tests in 2022:
- Quasimeme Nutrients proficiency testing;
- Quasimeme Ocean Acidification proficiency testing.
- Modelling and Remote Sensing activities are validated by the continuing acquisition of time series data accrued from ongoing National Capability projects such as the Western Channel Observatory (WCO) and the Atlantic Meridional Transect (AMT), along with any other Research Cruises and projects undertaken in the field.
No issues with external partners were reported in 2022.
There were no due diligence activities that were required for external partners in 2022.
Monitoring and Reporting Research Misconduct
- In 2022 there were no formal reports of research misconduct committed by a PML member of staff.
- Following a formal report of research misconduct, the PML policy first requires an informal investigation to determine whether there is sufficient evidence to support a formal investigation.
- In 2022, no informal investigations were undertaken.
- There were no instances where a formal investigation of research misconduct was conducted.
- In 2022, there were no formal allegations of potential research misconduct committed by external partners against PML members of staff.
Steve Widdicombe - PML Director of Science
19th January, 2023.