"Though trained as a physicist, I have an engineer’s love of tinkering with things, usually algorithms that I hope will unlock secrets hidden in the satellite data I mostly work with. I love working on environmental problems and creating new tools that aim to make a global and long-lasting contribution to our understanding of our precious and fragile world and the effect we have on it."
Peter studied physics at Oxford before working on satellite data at the Met Office then pursuing a PhD in planetary physics at Imperial College, London and starting work on satellite ocean colour at Imperial and then Stockholm University before coming to PML in 2000. Since then his work has diversified to include ocean acidification and air-sea flux work as well as continued work on ocean colour, with a particular interest in uncertainty analysis and reduction. He also has experience of field measurements, laboratory analysis and instrument design.
- ESA OceanSODA
- EU JMP EUNOSAT
- ESA Pathfinders Ocean Acidification
- ESA OceanFlux Greenhouse Gases & OceanFlux Evolution
- Webber, JL; Tyler, CR; Carless, D; Jackson, B; Tingley, D; Stewart-Sinclair, P; Artioli, Y; Torres, R; Galli, G; Miller, PI; Land, PE; Zonneveld, S; Austen, MC; Brown, AR; 2021. Impacts of land use on water quality and the viability of bivalve shellfish mariculture in the UK: A case study and review for SW England. Environmental Science & Policy.
- Kurekin, A; Land, PE; Miller, PI; 2020. Internal Waves at the UK Continental Shelf: Automatic Mapping Using the ENVISAT ASAR Sensor. Remote Sensing.
- Kitidis, V; Shutler, JD; Ashton, I; Warren, M; Brown, IJ; Findlay, HS; Hartman, SE; Sanders, R; Humphreys, M; Kivimäe, C; Greenwood, N; Hull, T; Pearce, D; McGrath, T; Stewart, BM; Walsham, P; McGovern, E; Bozec, Y; Gac, J-P; van Heuven, SMAC; Hoppema, M; Schuster, U; Johannessen, T; Omar, A; Lauvset, SK; Skjelvan, I; Olsen, A; Steinhoff, T; Körtzinger, A; Becker, M; Lefevre, N; Diverrès, D; Gkritzalis, T; Cattrijsse, A; Petersen, W; Voynova, YG; Chapron, B; Grouazel, A; Land, PE; Sharples, J; Nightingale, PD; 2019. Winter weather controls net influx of atmospheric CO2 on the north-west European shelf. Scientific Reports.
- Land, PE; Findlay, HS; Shutler, JD; Ashton, IGC; Holding, T; Grouazel, A; Girard-Ardhuin, F; Reul, N; Piollé, J-F; Chapron, B; Quilfen, Y; Bellerby, RGJ; Bhadury, P; Salisbury, J; Vandemark, D; Sabia, R; 2019. Optimum satellite remote sensing of the marine carbonate system using empirical algorithms in the global ocean, the Greater Caribbean, the Amazon Plume and the Bay of Bengal. Remote Sensing of Environment.
- Woolf, DK; Shutler, JD; Goddijn‐Murphy, L; Watson, AJ; Chapron, B; Nightingale, PD; Donlon, CJ; Piskozub, J; Yelland, MJ; Ashton, I; Holding, T; Schuster, U; Girard‐Ardhuin, F; Grouazel, A; Piolle, JF; Warren, M; Wrobel‐Niedzwiecka, I; Land, PE; Torres, R; Prytherch, J; Moat, B; Hanafin, J; Ardhuin, F; Paul, F; 2019. Key Uncertainties in the Recent Air‐Sea Flux of CO 2. Global Biogeochemical Cycles.