"Though trained as a physicist, I have an engineer’s love of tinkering with things, usually algorithms that I hope will unlock secrets hidden in the satellite data I mostly work with. I love working on environmental problems and creating new tools that aim to make a global and long-lasting contribution to our understanding of our precious and fragile world and the effect we have on it."
Peter studied physics at Oxford before working on satellite data at the Met Office then pursuing a PhD in planetary physics at Imperial College, London and starting work on satellite ocean colour at Imperial and then Stockholm University before coming to PML in 2000. Since then his work has diversified to include ocean acidification and air-sea flux work as well as continued work on ocean colour, with a particular interest in uncertainty analysis and reduction. He also has experience of field measurements, laboratory analysis and instrument design.
- ESA OceanSODA
- EU JMP EUNOSAT
- ESA Pathfinders Ocean Acidification
- ESA OceanFlux Greenhouse Gases & OceanFlux Evolution
- Land, PE; Findlay, HS; Shutler, JD; Piollé, J-F; Sims, RP; Green, H; Kitidis, V; Polukhin, A; Pipko, II; 2023. OceanSODA-MDB: a standardised surface ocean carbonate system dataset for model–data intercomparisons. Earth System Science Data.
- Brando, VE; Pardo, S; Sathyendranath, S; Howey, B; Land, PE; Jackson, T; Santoleri, R; Sammartino, M; Colella, S; von Schuckmann, K; Ghafari, D; Smail, E; VanGraafeiland, K; Ramachandran, VP; Wang, M; 2022. Copernicus Ocean State Report, issue 6. Journal of Operational Oceanography.
- Tilstone, GH; Land, PE; Pardo, S; Kerimoglu, O; Van der Zande, D; 2022. Threshold indicators of primary production in the north-east Atlantic for assessing environmental disturbances using 21 years of satellite ocean colour. Science of The Total Environment.
- Webber, JL; Tyler, CR; Carless, D; Jackson, B; Tingley, D; Stewart-Sinclair, P; Artioli, Y; Torres, R; Galli, G; Miller, PI; Land, PE; Zonneveld, S; Austen, MC; Brown, AR; 2021. Impacts of land use on water quality and the viability of bivalve shellfish mariculture in the UK: A case study and review for SW England. Environmental Science & Policy.
- Green, HL; Findlay, HS; Shutler, JD; Land, PE; Bellerby, RGJ; 2021. Satellite Observations Are Needed to Understand Ocean Acidification and Multi-Stressor Impacts on Fish Stocks in a Changing Arctic Ocean. Frontiers in Marine Science.