Gennadi Lessin is a marine systems modeller with >15 years of experience developing and applying advanced modelling tools to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and ecological dynamics of marine systems and their response to natural and anthropogenic disturbance at scales from shelf seas to the global ocean, and to provide scientific support to marine management and policy.
His research interests span a wide range of topics, including the biogeochemistry of the benthic zone and benthic-pelagic interactions, dynamics of greenhouse gases, in particular methane and nitrous oxide, and understanding the complexity of marine nitrogen cycle, by integrating numerical modelling with observational data and machine learning approaches.
Gennadi holds a PhD in engineering physics from Tallinn University of Technology, where he worked before joining PML, as well as BSc and MSc in geoecology from Tallinn University. He is also trained as a teacher of natural sciences, and is passionate about Ocean Literacy, leading the PML involvement in the development of Ocean Conservation Curriculum.
He is currently a Co-I and institutional PI in several national and international projects as well as one of the lead developers of modular biogeochemical-ecosystem model ERSEM.
- Lessin, G., Polimene, L., Artioli, Y., Butenschön, M., Clark, D.R., Brown, I. and Rees, A.P., 2020. Modeling the seasonality and controls of nitrous oxide emissions on the northwest European continental shelf. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 125(6), p.e2019JG005613.
- Friedland, R., Stips, A., Grizzetti, B., de Roo, A. and Lessin, G., 2020. Report on the bio-geochemical model of the North-Western European Shelf. Publications Of-fice of the European Union, Luxembourg, ISBN, pp.978-92.
- Clark, D.R., Lessin, G., 2019. Model projections of marine environmental variables’ response to climate change within England’s south west marine plan areas (MMO 1169), a report provided to the Marine Management Organisation. 58pp
- Lessin, G., Bruggeman, J., McNeill, C.L. and Widdicombe, S., 2019. Time scales of benthic macrofaunal response to pelagic production differ between major feeding groups. Frontiers in Marine Science, 6, p.15.
- Lessin, G., Artioli, Y., Almroth-Rosell, E., Blackford, J.C., Dale, A.W., Glud, R.N., Middelburg, J.J., Pastres, R., Queirós, A.M., Rabouille, C. and Regnier, P., 2018. Modelling marine sediment biogeochemistry: Current knowledge gaps, challenges, and some methodological advice for advancement. Frontiers in Marine Science, 5, p.19.
- Skákala, J; Awty-Carroll, K; Menon, PP; Wang, K; Lessin, G; 2023. Future digital twins: emulating a highly complex marine biogeochemical model with machine learning to predict hypoxia. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Polton, J; Harle, J; Holt, J; Katavouta, A; Partridge, D; Jardine, JE; Wakelin, S; Rulent, J; Wise, A; Hutchinson, K; Byrne, D; Bruciaferri, D; O'Dea, E; De Dominicis, M; Mathiot, P; Coward, A; Yool, A; Palmieri, J; Lessin, G; Mayorga-Adame, CG; Le Guennec, V; Arnold, A; Rousset, C; 2023. Reproducible and relocatable regional ocean modelling: fundamentals and practices. Geoscientific Model Development.
- Clark, DR; Rees, AP; Ferrera, CM; Al-Moosawi, L; Somerfield, PJ; Harris, C; Quartly, GD; Goult, S; Tarran, GA; Lessin, G; 2022. Nitrite regeneration in the oligotrophic Atlantic Ocean. Biogeosciences.
- Rees, AP; Bange, HW; Arévalo-Martínez, DL; Artioli, Y; Ashby, DM; Brown, IJ; Campen, HI; Clark, DR; Kitidis, V; Lessin, G; Tarran, GA; Turley, CM; 2021. Nitrous oxide and methane in a changing Arctic Ocean. Ambio.
- Campen, HI; Arévalo-Martínez, DL; Artioli, Y; Brown, IJ; Kitidis, V; Lessin, G; Rees, AP; Bange, HW; 2021. The role of a changing Arctic Ocean and climate for the biogeochemical cycling of dimethyl sulphide and carbon monoxide. Ambio.