"When I joined PML my previous work experience was mainly in the academic environment. My work at PML gave me a unique experience of being involved in numerous multidisciplinary and international projects. This opened endless opportunities for cooperation not only within the organisation, but also all around the world."
Dr. Andrey Kurekin has been employed at Plymouth Marine Laboratory since 2010 as Marine Earth Observation Scientist with expertise in classification of optical and radar remote sensing images, and data fusion. At PML he worked on a number of research projects where he gained his expertise in automated feature detection from oceanic satellite data; modelling inherent optical properties (IOP) of coastal waters; automatic detection of internal waves in SAR images. He is a co-developer of the PML oil spill detection algorithm, with further expertise in automatic detection of harmful algal blooms, detection of internal waves in SAR images, and monitoring of illegal fishing vessels.
His research interests also extend to radar altimetry: development of algorithms and software for altimeter waveforms classification and sea surface height estimation; assessment of radar altimeter data and retracker algorithms.
NextOcean co-developing a suite of Earth observation-based services for sustainable fisheries and aquaculture (https://www.nextocean.eu/, lead fisheries monitoring service)
Safe and Sustainable Shellfish: Introducing local testing and management solutions. Funded by BBSRC. (2019-2022, lead the satellite based early warning of harmful algal blooms)
GCRF Blue Communities. (2017-2021, lead EO methods for aquaculture structures detection).
Earth observation for sustainable development (EO4SD) - marine resources. (2018 – 2021, lead remote sensing detection of oil spills). (http://eo4sd.esa.int/)
Integrated Service for Surveillance of Illegal, Unlicensed and Unreported Fishing ( InSUre ). Use of EO for Sustainable Fisheries Management in West Africa (15-P22). A project funded by the European Space Agency. (2016-2017, project lead)
Kurekin, A; Miller, PI; Avillanosa, AL; Sumeldan, JDC. 2022 Monitoring of Coastal Aquaculture Sites in the Philippines through Automated Time Series Analysis of Sentinel-1 SAR Images. Remote Sensing, 14 (12). 2862. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs14122862
Martinez-Vicente, V; Kurekin, A; Sa, C; Brotas, V; Amorim, AL; Veloso, V; Lin, J; Miller, PI. 2020 Sensitivity of a Satellite Algorithm for Harmful Algal Bloom Discrimination to the Use of Laboratory Bio-optical Data for Training. Frontiers in Marine Science, 7. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.582960
Kurekin, A; Land, PE; Miller, PI. 2020 Internal Waves at the UK Continental Shelf: Automatic Mapping Using the ENVISAT ASAR Sensor. Remote Sensing, 12 (15). 2476. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12152476
Poisson, JC; Quartly, GD; Kurekin, A; Thibaut, P; Hoang, D; Nencioli, F. 2018 Development of an ENVISAT altimetry processor providing sea level continuity between open ocean and Arctic leads. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 56(9). 5299-5319. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2018.2813061
Kurekin, A; Miller, PI; Van der Woerd, HJ. 2014 Satellite discrimination of Karenia mikimotoi and Phaeocystis harmful algal blooms in European coastal waters: Merged classification of ocean colour data. Harmful Algae, 31. 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2013.11.003
- Findlay, HS; Kurekin, A; Selmes, N; 2022. Assessment of the environmental, ecosystem, and human activities in coastal Vietnam and Cambodia gathered from satelitte remote sensing. PML Publishing.
- Kurekin, A; Miller, PI; Avillanosa, AL; Sumeldan, JDC; 2022. Monitoring of Coastal Aquaculture Sites in the Philippines through Automated Time Series Analysis of Sentinel-1 SAR Images. Remote Sensing.
- Davidson, K; Whyte, C; Aleynik, D; Dale, A; Gontarek, S; Kurekin, A; McNeill, S; Miller, PI; Porter, M; Saxon, R; Swan, S; 2021. HABreports: Online Early Warning of Harmful Algal and Biotoxin Risk for the Scottish Shellfish and Finfish Aquaculture Industries. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Martinez-Vicente, V; Kurekin, A; Sa, C; Brotas, V; Amorim, AL; Veloso, V; Lin, J; Miller, PI; 2020. Sensitivity of a Satellite Algorithm for Harmful Algal Bloom Discrimination to the Use of Laboratory Bio-optical Data for Training. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Quartly, GD; Kurekin, A; 2020. Sensitivity of Altimeter Wave Height Assessment to Data Selection. Remote Sensing.