Key contact: Andrew Perkin
Our two vessels, the Plymouth Quest and PML Explorer, support PML’s research and long-term monitoring activities, including the Western Channel Observatory.
Explore this facility in our virtual tour
Use the interactive tour to get an insight into the facility
The Plymouth Quest is able to operate in coastal and offshore regions and is able to spend up to 5 days at sea. It is equipped with facilities for collecting a wide range of biological, chemical and physical measurements and boasts a suite of underway sensors for autonomous measurements.
- Length: 21.5m, draught: 3.02m
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency Category 2 workboat, able to operate up to 60 miles from a safe haven
- Capacity of 12 passengers plus crew during the day or 6 overnight berths
- Equipped with trawl and sweeping winches, an A frame, net drum, 10 tonne hydraulic crane and hydraulic stern gate
The PML Explorer, provides a perfect working platform, as well as a 'rapid response' capability to enhance our research in estuarine and coastal waters.
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency code 3R vessel: Rigid Inflatable Boat, length: 6.8m
- Seagoing capability of up to 20 miles offshore
- Carrying capacity of up to 6 personnel
- Twin 90hp Suzuki engines, with twin fuel tanks for up to 8 hours at sea
- Navigation system with echosounder
- 12v power supply for scientific equipment
- Capability to deploy CTDs and a variety of messenger triggered water bottles