The following information is designed to provide an overview of PML benefits and requirements. Further information can be obtained from the HR Group, if required. Successful applicants will receive a contract of employment and, once employed, will have access to all of PML’s terms and conditions of service which are held electronically on the staff Intranet site.
- Annual leave: - 30 days annual leave on appointment
- Bank Holidays: – 8 days per annum
- Additional office closure – 2½ days per annum
- Career Management Review scheme: - annual review of performance and development needs.
- Cycle to Work Arrangements: – can be arranged via salary sacrifice.
- Fieldwork Allowance: - a daily allowance aimed at staff engaged in off-site sea or coastal activities.
- Flexible Working arrangements: - an electronic recording system, enabling flexible working arrangements.
- Group Personal Pension Scheme: - a money purchase scheme administered by Royal London. A total contribution paid of 10%, of which PML will contribute 6.5% and the staff member will contribute 3.5%. A flexible AVC package is also offered.
- Incremental pay awards offered annually on anniversary date to pay scale maxima (scientific staff).
- Intellectual Property: - once an employee of PML, IP remains within the sole ownership of PML. Any doubts about ownership of IP issues prior to any employment with PML must be raised prior to any appointment.
- Life Cover: - Four times salary in the event of early death in service, funded by PML at no cost to the individual.
- Merit Award Scheme (operational staff).
- Merit Promotion Scheme: – PML offers all scientific staff a route to career development through it's Merit Promotion Scheme.
- Special Bonus Scheme: – an opportunity for staff to gain financial reward for activities achieved considered over and above normal expectations.
- Sports and Social Club: - in addition to PML’s Sports and Social Club, corporate membership of a local fitness centre enables staff to freely use the swimming pool and gym facilities. Staff are also eligible to join the Civil Service Social Club.
- Staff Development: - identified primarily through the Career Management Review, PML is committed to the ongoing professional and personal development of staff.
- Welfare Service: - provided for all staff who may need additional support through difficult times. There are two Welfare Officers at PML.
- Information about Plymouth: - for individuals moving into this area, further information on Plymouth, its amenities and activities can be found on the following web sites: -
There are regular sports & social club activities for staff throughout the year.
Past events have included: charity coffee mornings, BBQs, picnics as well as the yearly 'fun run' and Christmas party.
Living and working in Plymouth
Visit Plymouth has produced a short video about Living and Working in Plymouth which highlights some of the best features Plymouth has to offer.